FAQ: Receiving Benefits

PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to provide Social Security Disability assistance to people who are currently employed, already receiving SSDI benefits, or have not been declared unable to work by a medical professional.

Many questions arise with respect to Social Security disability benefits. Your Lakeland disability attorney will be able to answer questions about your particular situation.

When will I start to receive my monthly benefits?

You should begin to receive your regular monthly benefits after you receive your past-due benefits. However, it is possible that you will start to receive your regular monthly benefits before your past-due benefits. Each check will provide the previous month’s benefits. Therefore, for example, in April you should receive the check for March’s benefits. You should receive each check on the second, third, or fourth Wednesday of each month, depending on what day of the month your birthday is on.

Is there a problem if I am overpaid?

If the SSA inadvertently pays you too much, it will almost certainly catch up to you sooner or later. You would then have to pay back the overage after you’ve possibly spent all the money. If you do not have the money to repay the overage, the SSA might stop paying you at all until it has recouped the overpayment. Usually, however, the SSA will just reduce your monthly benefits until you’ve repayed the overpayment, but this is still an inconvenience and you may have difficulty meeting your expenses while you are receiving the reduced amount. Under rare circumstances, the SSA may agree to waive repayment of the overage, but don’t rely on this possibility.

Can I receive both Social Security benefits and Medicare?

You will be eligible for Medicare after you receive 24 months of Social Security disability benefits. In order to receive Part B Medicare benefits (which cover doctor visits), the SSA will deduct a premium from your Social Security monthly disability check.

Low income people with disabilities may be eligible for other programs that cover medical expenses not covered by Medicare and/or pay the Part B Medicare premium. To determine whether you are eligible for any of these programs, contact your county welfare department or your Lakeland disability attorney.

In addition, under many health insurance policies, Medicare provides the primary coverage and the private health insurance covers only what Medicare does not cover. Contact your health insurance company to determine how it is compatible with Medicare.

For advice about your particular disability, contact a Lakeland disability attorney at Smith, Feddeler & Smith, P.A..