Hopefully, very few of us in Florida get behind the wheel of a car expecting to get into an accident. Statistically, though, most drivers will get into some type of wreck over the course of our driving lives.

This blog post will discuss common sense steps to take and some things you can do to protect your legal rights in the event you have to seek financial damages.

Get the medical care you need…

First, don’t play the hero. If you were in one of the vehicles, get medical attention at the scene and don’t turn down an ambulance ride to the hospital. Everything you say or do regarding your medical condition will be evidence used by the insurance company.

At the hospital, follow the doctor’s orders and keep careful notes about the treatment plan and medication you discussed.

If you can at the scene…

Do not apologize for the accident or try to explain your actions behind the wheel. Even a friendly, “Gee, I’m sorry this happened” can be used as evidence that you apologized for being at fault.

Ask an uninjured party to use your smartphone or camera to safely snap photos of the vehicles involved in the accident. 

Jot down information about the conditions that may have led to the accident, including the road surface, weather, speed of traffic, etc.

Record contact information of any eyewitnesses who may have been present

After you are home…

Report the accident to your insurance company, but do not make any recorded statements or sign any documents.

Do not discuss the accident with the other driver, their insurance company or their attorney.

Do not discuss the circumstances of your accident or your injuries with anyone outside of people who need to know, such as the police, your doctor and your spouse.

Continue to follow your doctor’s medical treatment to the letter.

Schedule a consultation to meet with a knowledgeable, reputable personal injury lawyer with experience handling motor vehicle accident cases in your area of Florida.

By following these simple steps, you will be taking action to protect your rights and help you attorney recover the full and fair compensation you may be entitled to.